I recently completed SUP yoga training in lovely Leelanau County Michigan with Stoked Yogi. I've been interested in SUP yoga for a few years and wanted to get extensive training in the sport. If you're not familiar with this exercise, SUP yoga is the practice of yoga on a 10 - 12 foot stand up paddle board. Stand up paddle boarding originated in Hawaii and has become a popular activity worldwide. SUP yoga combines the practice of yoga with stand up paddle board surfing and is practiced on a calm body of water.
During my training I learned SUP paddling skills. This is so important! Paddle techniques include stroke and maneuvering, board anatomy and handling, entry and exit know-how and caring for your board. I also became knowledgeable in weather and water safety. I learned rescue and lifesaving skills in the USCG (United States Coast Guard) approved water clinic. I'm familiar with equipment used and know how to adapt and sequence asana (yoga poses) on the water. Your fun and safety is so important to me!
If you're interested in trying a SUP yoga class, please ask yourself these questions first:
1. Is the teacher certified in instructing a SUP yoga class?
2. Does she/he have Paddlefit, RYT200 (yoga) and CPR certifications?
3. Will I learn proper paddling techniques?
4. Does the teacher or business follow safety guidelines?
5. Will she/he know how to rescue me if something happens?
6. Does the instructor know how to use the equipment?
All of these things are so important on your SUP yoga journey. I'm here to help. Please contact me if you're interested in scheduling a private, or group class. See you out on the water!